Tuesday 29 November 2011

Not done yet.

So it's been a while...

From actually playing the amp and I've got a change I want to make already. I'm going to change my Top Boost channel's bias. It seems to distort too much and isn't quite as loud as my Normal channel so I'm going to try to increase the head room.

There's a couple of SPICE models and whatnot floating out there so I think I might actually try and simulate my design instead of just intuition/trial and error.

FACEPLATE!

I sent this in to BNP Lasers...



and this is what I got back 2 weeks later!


I think it's pretty sweet looking. Black and gold shininess is awesome.


Anyways, back to my stupidity. Because I chose the wrong transformer, I had to use a 2K resistor to bring down the B+ voltage from ~350V to ~250V. This burns off about 5W which makes the inside of my chassis go above 40 degrees Celsius after about 30 minutes of playing time. NOT GOOD. So I'm getting a chassis mount resistor and putting it on the outside of the chassis instead where heat isn't so big of a problem. 

More on my stupidity, I wired up my input jacks completely wrong as per the diagram so that's where I was getting alot of noise from. But I think I have a tube that's on its way out because the noise now is more on the random static side.

I also realize that I owe a clip of how this thing sounds so when I get a chance to do it properly, it'll happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment