Wednesday 24 August 2011

Plug and Pray

Redid my power supply with the mega voltage dropper resistor in place and I've added in a 1kOhm between the B+ and the screen grid (pin 9) on the EL84.

So my B+ has sunk down to just 175V with that 12W resistor burning off about 15W...

Anyways, I didn't really care, I finally just had to try it out now that I had traded a cherry red tube for a space heater.

There's definitely some 60Hz noise coming from possibly everywhere but it's more noticeable on the EF86 channel than the Top Boost channel. That'll be another adventure to sort out but I don't think I'm ready for that yet.

The amp isn't ear piercingly loud which is awesome! Definitely bedroom level volume.

Both channels sound pretty awesome but the Top Boost definitely stands out to me more. They both break up really nicely and there's really nothing bad to say about them. This awesomeness all came from an out of tune Squire Strat so it should only get better from here.

I guess I still have some tweaking to do but it was just nice to get a sound out of it besides the usual 60Hz groan.


No comments:

Post a Comment