Saturday 2 July 2011

The Cabinet

So this is what I picked up. I was originally going to build one but this was cheaper and I don't have a table saw.


It's a Vox Pathfinder 15R that somebody took the chassis out of so what was left was the cabinet and the speaker. Apparently the 8" speaker sounds pretty good but I'm prepared to swap it out if it sounds horrible.



So I have a 13.5" chassis that I bought. The original chassis wasn't that size but it's as close as I could get. Obviously, the cabinet had to go under the jig saw because I sure wasn't about to cut up a chassis over crappy MDF.



With the cabinet tapped up and marked, the speaker removed and the speaker cutout sealed, I launched my assault on the side braces. Wasn't sure what the jig saw would do to the cabinet so that's why there's tape everywhere...and black marker on black tolex doesn't work so well.



I had to take out a little piece of MDF that was in the cabinet as a chassis support. I cut it in half and made it into stop blocks so that the chassis doesn't move when it's in position.



The next thing I want to do on the cabinet is add a vent for the tubes. I'm mounting them horizontally because of space. I have a brass vent but I think I'll save putting that thing on for another day.



Looks good though doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment